History

Founded in Freiburg in 1919 as "Burkhardt & Schmidt Garnfabrik", the company quickly made a name for itself as a producer of top quality embroidery threads, with a combination of traditional values and the innovative prowess of the company's founders forming the basis for success.

In 1975, "Burkhardt & Schmidt Garnfabrik" was renamed as MADEIRA. From then on, the sales activities, which had been previously geared to the domestic German market, were now increasingly globalised. Significant investment into technological and sustainability advances means almost 70% of Madeira’s threads are still produced at the Freiburg headquarters.

Today, MADEIRA ,with its many subsidiaries all around the world and its international sales logistics, is one of the leading companies in the industry.